Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Swedish Meat Pies & Cosmos!


I love a good dinner, how about you?

I've been looking forward since the beginning of the summer to the Scandinavian Festival that is held every year in Junction City, Oregon. I must be honest....it's the food...I go for the food.

But its so delicious!

Aebleskivers!!
 

 Their is also dancing, crafts, homemade goodies for sale and vikings in full attire walking around!

Anyways I just couldn't hold out, I love the Swedish Meat Pies the best and decided that rather and wait for August to roll around I would make my own. And the recipe I used was a sure winner!!


Here is the original recipe (makes about 4 meat pies). I doubled it and made a few other changes as well.

Here is my version:

Swedish Meat Pies 
~ Recipe by, Aavery Nelson ~
 Filling Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Pounds of beef
1/2 Cup chopped onion
4 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. nutmeg
4 large red potatoes, grated
2 Cups. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 & 1/2 Cups. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Crust Ingredients:
4 Cups. All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp. Salt
1 & 1/2 Cups Shortening
3/4 Cup. Sour Cream

Directions - Preheat oven 400* F

  1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion until golden brown, add the potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes just enough to give them a head start over the meat.
  2. Add the beef, parsley, allspice, dill, and nutmeg to your skillet. 
  3. Cook and stir until the meat is browned. Drain any excess grease from the pan.
  4. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Set aside to cool.
  5. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Mix in the shortening with a fork until pea sized lumps form. Stir in the sourcream until a soft dough forms. Knead briefly on a floured surface. Divide into balls - should make about 8.
  6. Roll each ball of dough to about 1/8 inch thinkness in the shape of a nice circle or oval. Place a heaping scoop of filling about (1/2 Cup) onto each flat round. Fold over into half circles, and seal by moistening the edges with warm water and pressing together with a fork. Place on a large baking sheet.
  7. Bake about 20 min until golden brown.
I baked what I thought we would eat for dinner, the rest I froze without baking first for quick meals at a later date!

They were amazing! My husband was in heaven, and I think they turned out even better than the ones I usually get at the festival!

Served of course with Cosmos! Happy Monday Everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment