Friday, May 30, 2014

Orphaned Kitten Day 1

Things That go Bump in the Night.

May, 29th 2014

Well our first night was successful! The little baby survived although I wasn't sure I would. Even though I had my alarm set to feed her every 2 hours she insisted on waking and crying at least every hour. We had her initially snuggled up in an extra dog crate with blankets, stuffed animal (stimulates siblings) and heating pad. 

Poor baby, even though she was fed and didn't have to go potty she insisted on crying regularly during the night. She slept much better as long as I was touching her, and since my husband works longer hours than I do I ended up moving her into the guest bedroom so that I could comfort her and allow him to sleep.

It was a long night, I was too tired to think straight and ended up sleeping on the floor with my hand in her nest I had created. Every hour we were up.

I definitely have a new respect for new parents! I couldn't imagine doing this for a year or more!
At around 6 am I woke up my hubby and had him take over feeding duties so that I could get a few solid hours of sleep in before I went to work, even though this meant that I had to skip class today.

After a few hours of sleep, I took over baby duty and my husband left for the day. Now I had to figure out how to explain to my boss that she has to come with me..after giving him a call and letting him know it was both of us or neither of us, he relented all the while complaining about how we have a very important lunch meeting today (by we he means him - I'm his personal assistant). I was able to quell his fears by explaining how quiet she is and promising that he wouldn't even know that I had her with me.

The solution? A duffel bag with a shoe box inside to create structure, soft towels and heating pad under the towels.
It worked great! I just plugged her in under my desk and she slept the whole time (except when I had to wake her up to eat). At the end of the day my boss finally decided to take a look at our tiny little guest, and I was right he didn't hear her even once.  :-)  
Kitten travel bag!

















She did great at work with me!


After lunch time at work













After work I ended up missing my usual gym time because I was so tired, but I also needed to go pick up some probiotics, my veterinary technician friend said that her Veterinarian recommended keeping the kitten on the probiotics until she is eating solid food.

In the evening we decided to do a switch, my husband slept in the guest bedroom with our 2 dogs while I slept in our room (door closed to keep my 2 kitties out) with the kitten on the bed in her duffel bag nest. This way I could be comfortable and feed her regularly while not disturbing him, and then we agreed that he would take over her 6 am feeding so that I could get a couple more hours of sleep in the morning.


**Please feel free to email me with questions! I am no expert but i'm happy to help if I can.**

No comments:

Post a Comment