Friday, May 30, 2014

Orphaned Kitten Day 2

She's Growing!


May 30th, 2014

Well this morning we decided to weigh her, and my kitchen scale said she weighs 259 grams about 9 ounces! 

Last night was a little different than the previous night, she slept much better and I had to wake her up to feed her (no more crying!), she also decided around 2 am that she wanted to walk around. Keep in mind she's really tiny still and mostly crawls, she's pretty wobbly on her feet but she got in some good exercise before going back to sleep. Also heard her purr for the first time! It's really quiet so you have to listen close, but it was definitely a purr!

This morning at around 6 am, my wonderful husband took over baby duty and proceeded to carry her around like a kangaroo in his hooded sweatshirt pouch while he went about his morning routine and I slept. 
Today we ended up carpooling to work so once I dropped my husband off, I headed over to my in-laws home because I had an hour to kill before going in to work myself. They were of course in love with the kitten.

I keep assuring everyone, we aren't keeping her. Just giving her a wonderful home until she is healthy enough to go to another wonderful home. We want what is best for her, but 3 cats are simply too many in my opinion.


I tend to disagree with people's choices to have more than 3 cats, unless they are siblings and grow up together. Why you might ask?

Cats are solitary creatures and like to have lots of their own room or territory, unlike dogs who are pack animals, and they tend to not like each other so they get into the occasional spats.

Its not natural for them to live together. It's not that they can't get along (I have 2 cats of my own) but every so often they have an issue and a small fight ensues. My two cats I worry might hurt or kill the kitten so we keep her separated and she's never unsupervised. But she also doesn't have a strong enough immune system to be around other cats yet.

Day 2 at work!
After breakfast nap


She sure does a lot of sleeping, i'm kind of jealous.  Being kind of tired I grabbed a dutch bros on my way to work. I thought the lid was appropriate for the kind of day i'm having so i'll share it with you guys.  It says, "Love Abounds" thanks Dutch Bros! You're a lifesaver!



And like a typical new mom - according to my girlfriend..I got out of the house with everything the baby needed and mostly got myself together in the process, hair and makeup done, but I forgot all of my jewelry. Haha!

I've also perfected how to go about feeding her, here's my setup:


I heat water in a mug in the microwave, I then place the appropriate amount of goats milk mixed with probiotics (i'm using Forti Flora the vet said half a packet per 2 ounces of milk) into a shot glass and drop it into the water to warm it up. You never want to put goats milk in the microwave as nutrients will be lost if you do.


Here you can see I have a tupperware container filled with ice surrounding the bottle of goats milk that I brought with me for feeding. I never heat all of it, only what I need and if she doesn't finish some in the shot glass or the syringe I toss it out so that she gets fresh milk every time.

Also having the warm water, it makes it easy to get her to go potty. I just dip a cotton ball into the water once it has cooled, and proceed to wipe her with it and groom her after every meal.

After looking at a few websites and determining that 259 grams is about 9 ounces, she should be eating between 56 mL and 80 mL's daily (1 cc = 1 mL), which thankfully the size of her bottle is 60 mL.

Feeding Guide
Age in WeeksAverage Weight of KittenAmount of Formula Per DayNumber of Feedings Per Day
14 ounces32 cc6
27 ounces56 cc4
310 ounces80 cc3
413 ounces104 cc3
51 pound128 cc3
http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html

Yesterday she ate a little over 1 bottle so we're on the right track! And we feed her until she doesn't want it anymore.





Isn't she sweet! She has gotten really good at eating from the syringe, we tried the bottle again but she didn't want anything to do with it. We're thinking that she may not like the rubber texture or how it tastes, and she's turning into quite the pig!



We're going to start weight her twice daily, morning and night because her food intake has doubled since yesterday and it will be fun to track how fast she grows.











Let me know if you have any questions or tips!



No comments:

Post a Comment