Friday, June 6, 2014

Kitten June 6th, 2014

I Call Her Baby.



I keep reminding myself that we aren't keeping the baby, and yes that is how I now refer to her, "the baby". I would love to keep her but I just think that 3 cats and 2 dogs is too many animals in our house...its more cleaning mostly, and more fur during shedding season.

Cat's aren't that expensive, we feed our cats a high quality diet of Blue Buffalo Wilderness, its like $42 or so a bag and lasts 3-4 months between our two cats. If you set aside $20 each month then you'll be covering future litter costs, and once a year vet visits. The initial cost of owning a kitten is a bit higher, being a kitten you have your spay/neuter costs that are I think around $200, plus initial vet exam and vaccination costs - this is why I like adopting animals. If you adopt then you are paying for about what went into getting the kitten up to date on shots and the spay/neuter fee, rather then shelling out $1000+ for some designer animal.

Spending literally every waking moment with my little baby has led to quite the bond, I can't wait for her to go a little longer between feedings (I miss sleeping) but on a good note she's just so sweet and incredibly fun to have around. She's a great snuggler, and is getting playful. My only hope is to find her a great home that will love and cherish her as much as I do, she deserves to live the spoiled and pampered life of a cozy house cat.

As of last night she now weighs 13.4 ounces, 16 ounces = 1 pound she's getting bigger!



Starting this evening we're going to be attempting once again to get her interested in wet food, keep in mind I haven't done this before so we'll change it as we go if necessary.

Step 1. Introduce her current diet of goats milk to her on a plate, this way she learns to lap it up.

Step 2. Introduce her once again to gruel (mixture of wet food and milk) while offering water in a dish as well. You can't introduce a new diet to quickly or you can cause tummy problems and diarrhea which can lead to dehydration and other nasty issues.

Step 3. Slowly decrease the amount of milk given.

The idea is that you slowly decrease the milk content while increasing the wet food, after a week or two she can be completely transitioned over. 

Don't rush the kitten, and watch their poo consistency for diarrhea in which case you'll need to call the vet. The key is Patience, Patience, Patience and persistence. Here is one website I have been reading about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment