Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Orphaned Kitten Progress Update


She's Growing!

Update as of Wednesday June 4th, 2014.

Day 3 (Saturday 5/31) weight: 283 grams = 9.98 ounces

Day 4 (Sunday 6/1) weight: 300 grams = 10.58 ounces

Day 6 (Tuesday 6/3) weight: 351.5 grams = 12.4 ounces


My little bottle baby!




































It's amazing how fast she is growing! I can't wait for her to be able to sleep all night though...I ended up staying home from work and school on Monday, I was so exhausted I felt nauseous. I truly have a new appreciation for parents. It's crazy! I couldn't imagine having a full time baby for longer than it takes a kitten to grow.

Sorry it's been a few days, like I said I just couldn't function I have been sooo tired balancing school, work, house stuff, my two dogs and the kitten! **My hubby has been helping but it hasn't been easy!**

On top of that it's finals week for me, and at work we have a big audit coming on Friday (this happens every year) being my first audit with the company if I do a good job I can potentially get a raise. Unfortunately I've been tired and grumpy, I just have to hope I don't miss anything.

But lets talk about the baby:

She's learning to use the litter box!


Cats are wonderful in this sense! They're all practically born potty trained, she no longer needs stimulation to go potty, and she's had 2 bowel movements (I was worried because I couldn't get her to go poop!) turns out kittens only poo every couple days, besides that she's still on just a milk diet.

We've also got her eating every 3-4 hours now, that's a little bit helpful for our sleep schedules.

We tried making gruel on Monday - milk and wet kitten food mixed together to get her started on solids, that was a disaster!
She was howling with hunger, and just in case she wasn't interested in the gruel I had a warm bottle on standby. Once she figured out the food was in the dish I was offering her she immediately plunged her face into it and snorted a bunch up her nose!

Then I had a screaming, choking kitten...so sad! I felt terrible! So no wet food I decided for another day or so..

After reading a blog about weaning kittens I decided to try one of the suggestions with the kitten wet food (we're giving her blue buffalo kitten food), serving it to her in a spoon - I only gave her a tiny bit, because you then give her milk to wash it down with, you don't want to upset her stomach with a new diet too fast.
Ya...about that spoon....utter failure! She smeared it around just fine, and in her frustration clawed up my hands and attempted to chew on the edges of the spoon, if I lowered it she stepped in it howling only ever the louder, I even attempted to put it on the ground! More howling ensued, her sense of smell is fine but her eyes are still developing, she couldn't seem to find the food. So back the bottle we went. And she was much happier.

Time to groom!




No comments:

Post a Comment